If you want to leverage the power of Kahuna to create custom Facebook audiences automatically for your Facebook ad account, you can use a Facebook Lifecycle or One-Time campaign. As you select user segments and apply campaign filters, your Facebook campaign assembles and launches an export to your Facebook ad account.
Kahuna provides the same intuitive and powerful campaign creation workflow for Facebook campaigns as for standard user-targeted campaigns, so custom audience creation with Facebook campaigns is more efficient than with Facebook Ads Manager.
You can use a Kahuna custom audience as the specific target of a Facebook One-Time campaign, or you can target a Facebook One-Time campaign at derivatives of your custom audience. Custom audience derivatives might include:
- People similar to your custom audience
- People not in your custom audience
- People who browsed but did not buy
- People like my top 100,000 users
- Women 18-25 who are not registered (manually updated periodically in Facebook One-Time campaigns)
You can also use a Kahuna custom audience as the specific target of a Facebook Lifecycle campaign; however, when you run this campaign, Kahuna might add or remove users based on selection criteria and user age at that time. That is, Kahuna adds users to the custom audience when they meet campaign criteria. Kahuna removes custom audience members after seven days.
Before You Begin
Before you create a Facebook campaign, you need to do the following:
- If you do not have a Facebook ad account, see Creating Ads at developers.facebook.com.
- Set up your Facebook ad account for Kahuna.
- In Kahuna Settings under Connected Apps, click Connect for Facebook. When the Facebook ad account login page opens, log into your Facebook ad account.
Note: The authentication protocol for Facebook ad account login credentials is OAuth.
Note: When you connect to Facebook from Kahuna Settings, ensure that your browser is not caching a Facebook personal login.
Note: If Facebook campaigns are not visible in the Kahuna application, contact your Kahuna Customer Success representative.
Facebook Lifecycle and One-Time Campaigns
Lifecycle campaigns allow you to message users at key points in the customer journey to ensure proper onboarding and flow, which significantly reduces the risk of user churn. Kahuna sends these campaigns to users who match your selected filters, based on their specific engagement state.
Use Lifecycle campaigns to optimize the onboarding process by ensuring Newbies are properly onboarded with a welcome campaign, and by onboarding Passersby with messages that speak to the value of your app and highlight a hallmark feature of your app with which they have yet to interact. Encourage continued app engagement by reactivating your Dormant users with messages that speak to their previous engagement with your app. You have aggregated a wealth of behavioral data for this group of users, so ensure you are serving them content that shows you know and value them.
See Kahuna's Tried and True Campaigns for examples Lifecycle campaigns that have proven to be successful across all verticals.
With Scheduled campaigns, user behavior does not factor into message timing. You can use a Scheduled campaign for updates, promotions, or any other campaign directed at any single segment of users. Segments include All People, New People, Passersby, Engaged, Dormant, Top People, and Top Purchasers.
Scheduled campaigns allow you to send a message to everyone who matches your selected filters on a one-off basis. These campaigns are perfect for highlighting one-off events, such as a flash deal or a special offer. Here are some examples of how you can leverage Scheduled campaigns.
- Holiday: “We are thankful for you! Get 10% off your purchase today with promo code THANKSGIVING."
- Special offer: “TODAY ONLY - exclusive travel deals just added.”
The following procedure provides the steps for creating a Facebook Lifecycle or One-Time campaign.
To create a Facebook Campaign
- In the left navigation pane, open Create > Campaign, then click the Facebook Campaign tab at the top of the page. The Facebook Campaign Types page opens.
- To the right of either Facebook Lifecycle or Facebook One-Time, click CREATE. The chosen Facebook Campaign page opens.
- At the top, enter the title of your Facebook campaign.
- In the Segment panel, select a segment of users you want to reach (see Segment).
- Using the up/down arrows, set the number of days users either were first seen or remained in this segment, then click Next. The Edit Filters panel opens.
- From the Target Platform drop-down list, select a target platform for this filter.
- To add a filter, click Add filter. See Segments & Filters.
- Enter the first few characters of an attribute or event name in the Search Filters field or scroll down the Filters pick list and select the filter in the pick list.
- In the operator drop-down list, select an operator.
- In the value field, enter a value.
- Click Save.
- To add more filters, click Add filter and specify each added filter.
- To see an estimate of the reach of your filter set, check the Campaign Reach Estimate under the Campaign Summary.
The Edit Facebook Custom Audience panel opens.
- Click the Select Facebook Account... dropdown and select either a Facebook ad account or Other... See Facebook Panel.
- If you selected a Facebook ad account, skip the next step.
- If you selected Other..., enter an account nickname.
- Enter your Facebook ad account ID.
- Click Save For Later. For details about adding and deleting Facebook ad accounts in Kahuna Settings, see Facebook.
- Enter the description for the custom audience this Facebook campaign defines for your Facebook ad account.
- Use the up/down arrows to raise or lower the Control Group setting.
- Click Next.
- If your namespace is configured with grouping attributes, the Advanced panel is available. When you toggle the Advanced panel's ON/OFF switch, you can group campaigns limited by message count or app usage date. See Advanced.
- Select the attributes to update as users receive messages from this campaign.
- To add matching filters for the selected campaign limiting attributes, open the Edit Filters panel. See Segments & Filters.
- Click Next.
- Before launching your campaign, review the Campaign Creation Process report at the upper right to verify that all campaign components are configured as expected.
- When your campaign creation process is complete, wait for the Reach Estimator's final calculation and verify the result.
- Click Launch. The Campaign Details page opens.
- Verify your Facebook campaign's details.
- Log into Facebook Ads Manager to verify that your Kahuna custom audience is available in the Audience list (under AD SET).
Note: Some members of your custom audience might not be Facebook users. In these cases, the size of your Facebook custom audience is smaller than the audience of your Kahuna Facebook campaign.
Note: After you delete the custom audience of a Kahuna Lifecycle campaign from your Facebook ad account, you must also disable that campaign in the Campaign Details view of that campaign.
The Facebook panel provides a set of fields for setting up a Facebook custom audience campaign that exports your custom audience data to the Custom Audience list of your ad account on Facebook Ads Manager. Your Facebook campaign defines the custom audience using user segments and filters. The Facebook panel set-up assigns the campaign's Facebook custom audience to a Facebook account and provides a custom audience description.
You can use only one Facebook ad account at a time. To change your Facebook ad account connection, do the following:
- In the User menu at the top of the page, navigate to Kahuna Settings.
- Under Connected Apps, click Disconnect.
- In Facebook, log out of your browser's currently cached Facebook ad account.
- In Facebook, log into another Facebook ad account.
- In Kahuna, click Connect. The Facebook ad account login page opens.
- Enter the Facebook credentials for another account.