Kahuna Quick Start
Welcome to Kahuna. You are on your way to taking your marketing communication to the next level.
Get ready to delight your users with a new standard of messaging that fosters authentic engagement through personalized communication at scale. Through a cross-channel approach of push notifications, email, in-app messaging, SMS, and social networks, Kahuna empowers you to message users individually on the right device, at the right time, and through the right channel.
Our big data and machine learning technologies take the heavy lifting out of communication automation. RevIQ empowers you to identify automatically the messages that best resonate with your user base, as well as pinpoint the ideal time to message your users to promote conversion based on results generated directly from your app.
Follow this short Quick Start guide to get up and running with the Kahuna communication automation platform.
1. Understand Segments
After you are live with Kahuna, all of your users fall into one of four configurable segments. These segments are mutually exclusive, but collectively exhaustive—a user is never in more than one segment at a time.
- Newbies are new users who have used your app on one occasion and have not returned for a second day of use within the amount of time you have to effectively onboard them and before they fall off into obscurity.
- Passersby are your churned users. If a Newbie does not come back for a second day of use within the time window, they fall into the Passersby category and remain there until they reengage.
- Dormant users are previously engaged users who have not returned to your app in 14 days. This segment includes some of your highest value users of all time.
- Engaged users have used your app on at least two occasions and at least once in the past 14 days.
You cannot alter these definitions. However, you can dictate the duration of the Newbie-to-Passersby delay period and the Engaged-to-Dormant delay period to fit the specifications of your app. These segments serve as the basis for most Kahuna campaign types. However, you are not restricted by these segments when building campaigns. With your set of integrated events and attributes, you are able to create hundreds, or even thousands, of microsegments within these predefined segments.
2. View the Main Dashboard
The first screen you see when you log into your account is the Dashboard. Your audience is made up of people who have interacted with your product in some way. Some people are new, some have been using your product regularly over a period of time, and some have become inactive. Understanding the use patterns of your audience helps you to focus your automated communications more effectively.
The Dashboard shows you how many of your product users are active. KPI tiles provide metrics to show the total number of users, and the number of active, new, returning, and inactive users. A chart provides visualizations of your user activity.
3. Analyze User Behavior
Kahuna provides several graphs that help you analyze user behavior so you have the necessary information to develop a sustainable campaign suite that has a positive impact on your user
- User Activity shows you how many of your product users are active. You can see the total number of users, and the number of active, new, returning, and inactive users. The User Activity dashboard is the main dashboard you see when you log into your account.
- Retention provides a heat map to show you when your retention increased and decreased over short or long time periods.
- Reach shows you how many people are reachable through marketing campaigns and Experiences for each of your channels. You can see device-related metrics, such as the number of opt-outs, unsubscribes, opt-ins, installs, and uninstalls; these metrics can affect how many people are reachable.
- Message Performance tracks message effectiveness over time. You can filter the data by date range, communication channels, and campaign types.
4. Optimize for Success
RevIQ is the Kahuna optimization engine that uses collected data and behavioral analysis to optimize campaigns and Experiences automatically.
Using RevIQ campaign message selection and send time selection optimization, you don’t have to manage and manually tune a multitude of experiments. In addition, the automation can respond faster and more reliably than a human attempting to monitor and update the campaign to maximize the response. As RevIQ captures behavioral data, it includes more real-time optimizations that are difficult or impossible for a sender to perform manually.
RevIQ is built to ensure that communications like push notifications and email are only triggered and sent to users who would not otherwise convert. RevIQ monitors user behavior in real time and understands the time interval in which 98% of users will convert without intervention. This means you are not annoying your users with unnecessary push notifications.
- SendOptimally Send Time Optimization is a patented Kahuna feature that allows messages to arrive at a unique time of day for each user. Kahuna tracks every user and, based on their past activity, determines the specific time of day and preferred device that users are most likely to be using your app. When you send a campaign using SendOptimally, each message is delivered at that specific time for each user. For example, users who typically engage with your app at 9:00 in the morning on their iPads get the campaign delivered at that time and on that device.
- Message Optimization identifies the best performing message variant per campaign and automatically sends the winning variant to users. For example, a campaign includes five possible message variants. RevIQ for message optimization determines which one is performing best and then starts sending that variant to future users eligible to receive the message.
- SendOptimally Conversion Time Optimization is available for conversion campaigns and optimizes the time delay by which a real-time message is sent to users. For example, a user adds an item to their cart but does not complete the purchase. How long do you wait to send a reminder push notification? RevIQ for conversion campaigns sends the message at the time delay that will optimize purchasing while not interrupting organic conversions.
- Cross-Channel Optimization discovers the optimal communication channel for each user of your mobile or web application. Cross-Channel Optimization uses machine learning algorithms to test user response over time. After an algorithm-determined number of delivered messages, Cross-Channel Optimization settles on the single communication channel with the best user response rate.
5. Understand Kahuna Campaign Types
Kahuna provides several campaign types so you can craft a cohesive, personalized, cross-channel experience that drives results and embraces your brand experience.
Lifecycle Campaigns allow you to message users at key points in the customer journey to ensure proper onboarding and flow, which significantly reduces the risk of user churn. Kahuna sends these campaigns to users who match your selected filters, based on their specific engagement state. Use Lifecycle campaigns to optimize the onboarding process by ensuring Newbies are properly onboarded with a welcome campaign, and by onboarding Passersby with messages that speak to the value of your app and highlight a hallmark feature of your app with which they have yet to interact. Encourage continued app engagement by reactivating your Dormant users with messages that speak to their previous engagement with your app. You have aggregated a wealth of behavioral data for this group of users, so ensure you are serving them content that shows you know and value them.
- Conversion Campaigns encourage users to complete key actions at critical points in the conversion or engagement funnel in real time. Conversion Campaigns allow you to message users at the point of intent or delight to encourage key actions. Here are some examples of how you can leverage Conversion Campaigns:
- Cart abandonment: “Last item added to cart would look great on you—make it yours!”
- Login campaign: “Log in to get the most out of App Name.”
- Add to wish list: “Like last item viewed? Save it to your wish list to keep track of it!”
Scheduled Campaigns allow you to send a message to everyone who matches your selected filters on a one-off basis. These campaigns are perfect for highlighting one-off events, such as a flash deal or a special offer. Here are some examples of how you can leverage Scheduled campaigns.
- Holiday: “We are thankful for you! Get 10% off your purchase today with promo code THANKSGIVING."
- Special offer: “TODAY ONLY - exclusive travel deals just added.”
- Adaptive Campaigns are perfect for sending messages on a programmatic or one-off basis to users who fall outside of Kahuna's traditional segmentation. You can create your own ongoing audience for transactional messages using CSV upload or API. Here are some examples of how you can leverage Adaptive Campaigns:
- Unique promo codes: “Use promo code XYZ123 to get 10% off your next purchase.”
- Injured player push: “ALERT: Athlete name has been injured. Don’t forget to adjust your lineup before tonight’s game.”
- Weather updates for specific cities: “Flash flood warning in City Name.”
- Trigger Campaigns let you specify trigger events to determine how to optimize message content and send schedule. Here are some examples of how you can leverage Trigger campaigns.
Successful sign up: nudge the user to next step - "Go view our latest items!"
Post sign up: "Hi there, welcome! You can now get the latest updates and you'll be the first to get our exclusive deals."
- External Trigger Campaigns work together with the Flex API so you can send campaigns when certain external events occur. For example, you can create a campaign to alert a certain segment of your customers automatically when their favorite items become available or send a message to your customers when a sale they bookmarked goes live.
- Experiences let you create and maintain seamless cross-channel communication automation experiences for your product users. With Experiences, you use a series of touchpoints containing messages that guide your segment along the steps of an event path toward your ultimate goal.
6. Build Your Communication Campaigns
Each Kahuna campaign type provides a different combination of modular components for building customized automated communication campaigns.
- Segments are sets of similar application users you associate with one another for the purpose of automating mobile communication. For example, you might segment application users according to their purchasing histories, mobile communication behavior, or special interests.
- Filters help you broadly or narrowly target specific groups of application users who want to communicate with you or use your app. You can include only users with certain attributes or behaviors in your campaigns. Kahuna provides some core attributes. During Kahuna integration, you identify custom Attribute, Events, and Intelligent Events that are critical to your business; these attributes, events, and intelligent events, are then available during the campaign creation process.
- Locales let you tailor your marketing strategy by creating campaigns to send messages in different languages or to different time zones, depending on a user's language or time zone device setting.
- Cross-Channel Messaging enables you to create push, email, SMS, and in-app messages. The messages you create should speak to each user as an individual, considering the action a user has and has not yet taken, and preferences based on behavior. Kahuna recommends some experimentation to get this right.
A-to-E testing—experiment with tone, sentence length, punctuation, and incentives. Explore images as well as emojis, if it feels appropriate and on-brand. This will help you determine the right brand voice based on favorable user response. Fun, serious, light, or direct, the difference in results may surprise you and provide good departmental learnings for copy creation across other messaging channels as well. Kahuna empowers you to try up to five different message copies and optimizes automatically for the best performing copy.
Always introduce a control group—it is extremely important to compare organic and messaged user behavior to assess the success of a campaign. When including multiple variations of copy for a specific campaign, RevIQ automatically includes a control group and distributes the rest of the messages accordingly between the experiment group. You can adjust this control group percentage as you see fit.
Personalize the message—get as deep as you can with in-message personalization. This is made possible through attribute insertion, which enables Kahuna to deliver a unique user-level value inside the message dynamically. Take a look at data tracked in the user profile to identify some potential parameters for customization. All the custom attributes and events you enable with our integration of Kahuna are available for in-message personalization.
Vary timing of the message—for Conversion Campaigns, use RevIQ to try different delivery delay windows. For Lifecycle and Scheduled campaigns, consider using the Optimal option to have Kahuna deliver to each user at the time of day the user has shown the highest levels of engagement.
Use data to determine the impact of Kahuna on your business—within Kahuna, you have the ability to set a Global Control Group, which allows you to withhold automatically a certain percentage of your user base from ever using a Kahuna message. You will be able to understand on a global level Kahuna's influence on your business.
In addition to the campaign types described above, you can leverage the power of Kahuna to create custom Facebook audiences automatically for your Facebook ad account. You can use a Facebook Lifecycle or One-time campaign. As you select user segments and apply campaign filters, your Facebook campaign assembles and launches an export to your Facebook ad account. Kahuna provides the same intuitive and powerful campaign creation workflow for Facebook campaigns as for standard user-targeted campaigns, so custom audience creation with Facebook campaigns is more efficient than with Facebook Ads Manager.
7. Measure Results
After you have developed a sustainable campaign suite, be sure to measure results and iterate over time. Key success indicators include:
- Engagement rate—the percentage more likely a user is to return to your app if you send them a message.
- Goal uplift—the percentage more likely a user is to complete your desired goal if you send them a message.
- Uninstalls and opt-outs—app uninstalls, and push notification opt-outs and email unsubscribes to measure adverse reaction.
Make sure that each campaign causes a more positive than negative impact and adjust the creative, personalization, and timing levers to achieve the best results.
- Open the Kahuna Manage/Campaigns page to see a list of each campaign type you have created. Each list provides campaign status information as well as tools for managing campaigns.
- View the Manage/Experiences page to examine and manage Kahuna Experiences. You can compare goal achievement of messaged users to control groups, analyze touchpoint and Experience success based on metrics, and manage path steps and touchpoints to optimize Experience performance.
8. Export Your Data
Analyze your campaign data more thoroughly with Kahuna Campaign Exports. Kahuna lists all saved campaign exports and user exports. You can run, copy, edit, or delete a saved export.
Campaign exports enable you to slice and dice campaign performance, and create customized graphs. The export is a CSV file containing more than 100 campaign metrics for select campaigns. Because the file contains very basic metrics, a data analyst must transform and aggregate the data to identify meaningful performance measures, comparisons, or trends.
User exports enable you to estimate campaign reach and see a list of campaign recipients.